Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
Set along the St. Lawrence riverfront, the atmospheric Old Port is one of downtown Montreal’s biggest attractions. There are two main ways to explore: either on land or by water. Bike, quadricycle, and walking tours of the Old Port typically follow routes along the waterfront and through Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal), the historic landmark-packed heart of the city. In summer, sightseeing cruises, Jet Ski tours, and self-guided paddleboat tours depart from the Old Port. Many family-friendly attractions are located in the Old Port, including La Grande Roue de Montréal observation wheel, and aerial obstacle and zipline courses.
Recent reviews from experiences in Montreal
Things to Know Before You Go
The Old Port is a must for families.
The Old Port promenade has free Wi-Fi and lots of benches and seating.
The promenade at the Old Port is paved and wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Old Port of Montreal is situated between Old Montreal and the St. Lawrence River. The nearest Metro stations are Champ-de-Mars, Place-d’Armes, and Square-Victoria, all about a 10-minute walk away.
When to Get There
Visit in summer for the widest range of activities. The area is busiest on weekend afternoons and evenings; arrive early to beat the crowds. Although it’s quieter in winter, there is still lots to do, including ice skating, riding the observatory wheel, and soaking in the outdoor hot tub at a floating boat spa.
Montreal Clock Tower
Among the most notable buildings situated along the waterfront is the 148-foot (45-meter) high Montreal Clock Tower, which was built between 1919 and 1922 to mark the entrance to the port and to serve as a memorial to sailors lost at sea. In spring and summer, climb to the top of the tower for spectacular city and river views.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Montreal Chinatown
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Montreal Underground City
- Iberville Passenger Terminal (Port of Montreal)