A day trip or overnight stay at Estancia Cristina offers the chance to immerse yourself in the idyllic landscapes of the Los Glaciares National Park. Guests get to experience life on the ranch, tour the historic buildings and farmlands, and tuck into typical Argentine cuisine, accompanied by Malbec wine. Ranch tours are often combined with a cruise around the nearby Upsala Glacier and Lake Argentino. The ranch also offers a range of outdoor activities including guided hikes and glacier treks, 4x4 excursions, horseback rides, boat cruises, and fishing.
Things to know before you go
- It’s possible to visit the Estancia for lunch, dinner, or an overnight stay. Advance bookings are essential.
- The Estancia has generated electricity and Wi-Fi access during the daytime and early evening.
- Parts of the Estancia are wheelchair-accessible, but it’s best to advise of your requirements in advance.
How to get there
Estancia Cristina is located on the north-western shore of Lake Argentino, and can only be reached by boat. From El Calafate, it’s a 40-minute drive west to Puerto Bandera port, where most boat cruises depart from. Return boat trips take around two hours.
When to get there
Estancia Cristina is open from October through April; the busiest period is from mid-November to February, when it’s best to book well in advance. You’ll need at least a full-day to visit the ranch and most tours set out from El Calafate early to maximize time.
Exploring the Los Glaciares National Park
The UNESCO World Heritage-listed landscapes of the Los Glaciares National Park are among the highlights of Patagonia, home to 47 glaciers. Most visitors opt to admire the glaciers on a cruise around Lake Argentino. On a full-day cruise, you can see the mighty Upsala Glacier, the towering ice wall of the Spegazzini Glacier; and the Perito Moreno Glacier, where you might witness gigantic chunks of ice breaking off into the lake below. Adventurous travelers can also trek along parts of the Perito Moreno Glacier, enjoy mountain biking or horseback riding in the surrounding mountains, or hike around Mt. Fitz Roy.
- Los Glaciares National Park (Parque Nacional Los Glaciares)
- El Calafate Historical Interpretation Center
- Nimez Lagoon Nature Reserve (Laguna Nimez Reserve)
- Glaciarium Ice Museum
- Estancia Alice (El Galpon Del Glaciar)
- Walichu Caves (Cuevas Galicho)
- Argentino Lake (Lago Argentino)
- Lago Roca
- La Leona Petrified Forest
- Perito Moreno Glacier
- Upsala Glacier
- Onelli Glacier
- Viedma Glacier
- Huemul Glacier
- Laguna Torre